Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default compost and eggshells

On Feb 2, 10:45*am, Fvert wrote:
I compost most kitchen scraps except for dairy, meat and fats. For a
long time I would include eggshells. I would try to break the shells
into smaller pieces either in the kitchen or once in the compost pile. I
seldom turn my compost except when harvesting some so it is slow not
fast. The egg shells don't seem to break down at all so I have stopped
adding them. USA Zone 7 A/B (right on the border in NC) if it matters.

QUESTIONS:
- Am I missing much by no longer adding the shells to the value of the
general compost?
- I have always planted above ground crops so far in my very small
raised bed garden. If I plant things like carrots, onions or potatoes is
there a chance small bits of egg shells in the soil will embed
themselves in the vegetables?
- any value in segregating egg shells into their own compost pile and if
so where would it best be used?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Brian

This was just discussed on rec.garden if you can get to that. There
are 22 posts so you can imagine that there are conflicting opinions
MJ