Old 20-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Pam

Default need some soil amendment advice, I think.

"Penny S." wrote:

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:
(Callie N.) wrote:

Soils that are "alive" with microbes will break down organic matter
(ie. dead root balls) more quickly. When chemicals are applied to
kill weeds, they also kill the other life in the soil.

Oh really? Since when does Roundup kill anything that doesn't
have chlorophyll? And which soil bacteria have it?

Tsu

yes thanks... this is my understanding of how RU works too...

Perhaps it might be better if you developed an understanding of soils and
soil organisms. Any substance applied to the soil - and that can include
excessive amounts of fertilizers, both natural and synthetic, even
overwatering or overtilling - can disrupt populations of soil organisms.
Ecosystems, specially soil ecosystems, are extremely fragile structures
that are easily damaged and brought out of balance by artificial means.
Fortunately soils and their biomass have an ability to regain their system
balance rather rapidly, provide one does not repeatedly disrupt them,
specially through chemical means.

BTW, the statement that Roundup is unable to kill anything without
chlorophyll is naive in the extreme. It is an isopropylamine or
trimethylsulfonium salt - try pouring table salt on your garden soil and
see what happens.