Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Egg shells as plant food

On Feb 2, 12:10*am, Gunner wrote:
On Jan 30, 6:14*pm, Father Haskell wrote:

On Jan 30, 6:47*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Jan 30, 7:13 am, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Amigas & amigos, years ago I read that eggshell water is good for
plants. I don't remember more. I kept the container on the side
steps. NEVER smelled anything like the odor emanating from the
water- immersed egg shells.

Now I started saving them again, but before I concoct yet another
witches brew, could I sample the NG as to the usefulness/efficacy of
this project? If yes, then on which plants and how often.

for me recycling eggshells wasn't worth
the added expense. a bag of agricultural
lime ran about $6.50 for 50lbs. at the
rate i use it that should keep me a good
20 years or so.

songbird

Dolomitic lime adds calcium and magnesium, plus helps
to keep pH levels stable. *Eggshells have the most benefit
with vermicomposting, keeps the crew healthy.

Provided your soil needs magnesium as well.

If foliage is yellow, and not due to iron or nitrogen deficiency,
suspect Mg shortage. *Hard to overdose with dolomite.

A spoonful of epsom salts is recommended when planting
tomatoes or peppers. *These appreciate an extra dose of
magnesium.

And airplane and cars have wheels, but can a car fly?

Put a big enough engine on it, no problem.

Very specifically it depends doesn't it? *Your using a false analogy