Old 04-02-2012, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
AndyS[_3_] AndyS[_3_] is offline

Default compost and eggshells

On Feb 2, 9:45 am, Fvert wrote:
I compost most kitchen scraps except for dairy, meat and fats. For a
long time I would include eggshells. I would try to break the shells
into smaller pieces either in the kitchen or once in the compost pile. I
seldom turn my compost except when harvesting some so it is slow not
fast. The egg shells don't seem to break down at all so I have stopped
adding them. USA Zone 7 A/B (right on the border in NC) if it matters.

QUESTIONS:
- Am I missing much by no longer adding the shells to the value of the
general compost?
- I have always planted above ground crops so far in my very small
raised bed garden. If I plant things like carrots, onions or potatoes is
there a chance small bits of egg shells in the soil will embed
themselves in the vegetables?
- any value in segregating egg shells into their own compost pile and if
so where would it best be used?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Brian

Andy writes:
I also use raised beds.
When I have meat scraps, I just dig a little hole about a foot deep,
and bury them in the beds. Then I put a brick or stone over the
covered hole so the dog won't dig there, and I know where the
meat is buried...... Eggshells are the same.......

One doesn't need to "compost" meat scraps. Eventually, a foot
underground, they will rot and ferment or whatever, and the nutrients
will promote worms, bacteria, and nitrogen. In the spring, I
transplant my tomato seedlings on top of each buried trove......

I do the same for squirrel and rabbit offal, after I have dressed
them out and put the good parts in the freezer. I bury both offal
and fur in the hole. My garden produces well......

The biggest problem I have is Lollypop's sense of smell. She
knows something stinky is buried and wants to dig it up. So I have
to put some sort of cover on it, brick or big rock, to discourage her.
An alternative is to lay some fencing material over it, like a small
section
of chain link, that she can't dig thru, but can be easily removed
later
when I need to plant.
So far, it works well.......

Andy in Eureka, Texas