Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Outdoor thermostat and pond heater

On Feb 6, 1:40*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 12:31:44 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:
Management is concerned that the goldfish in the pond are, as last year,
going to die if the pond is frozen over for anything more than a few
hours, so it looks as though I need a heater, a thermostat to turn the
heater on when the temperature drops to ~0ºC, and an outdoor socket.

Toolstation do a suitable socket
(http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p77440), Seapets sell a heater
(http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/po...nt/pond-l....),
but I can't find a thermostat.

Anyone able to suggest a source for the thermostat? Comments on the
socket and heater would also be welcome.

The first thing to remember is that the socket will probably need to
be fitted by an appropriately (Part P) qualified electrician. You've
presumably checked that the cable on the heater will be long enough to
run from socket location to pond (surprising how many people forget
that) as you won't be able to use an extension lead outdoors. An
alternative is the Blagdon Powersafe system which is intended for DIY
installation though isn't cheap! (seehttp://www.blagdonthepondmasters.co.uk/products/index.asp)

I've never heard of an in-line thermostat of the type you'll need
though in the days when I had fish, nearly 20 years ago, I just
plugged the heater in and left it on all the time - electricity was a
lot cheaper then - as it had its own thermostat. Might be worth
checking with Seapets to see if the one you're looking at has any sort
of in-built thermostatic control.

Otherwise, if no-one else in this group can help, try asking in uk.diy
where there are lots of helpful electricians (they'll also be able to
give definitive info on how the Part P regulations will affect you).

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.

You could try an Aquarium Heater place it horizontaly a couple of
inches below the surface near the side of the pool, it should keep a
small area ice free.