Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Outdoor thermostat and pond heater

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:52:18 EST, wrote:

Management is concerned that the goldfish in the pond are, as last year,
going to die if the pond is frozen over for anything more than a few
hours, so it looks as though I need a heater, a thermostat to turn the
heater on when the temperature drops to ~0ºC, and an outdoor socket.

Toolstation do a suitable socket
(
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p77440), Seapets sell a heater
(http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/po...ef=googlebase),
but I can't find a thermostat.

Anyone able to suggest a source for the thermostat? Comments on the
socket and heater would also be welcome.

Most pond and/or stock tank heaters have a built in thermostat, usually
somewhat primitive, but they still work. I don't know anything about the
one shown, but can tell you that a stock heater will turn off at somewhere
around 34F to 45F (or 0 Celsius to 10 degrees warmer) before they
automatically shut off. Why I have mine on a remote control switch so it
only has power during the coldest days of weather. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us