Old 09-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Doghouse Riley Doghouse Riley is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by F View Post
Management is concerned that the goldfish in the pond are, as last year,
going to die if the pond is frozen over for anything more than a few
hours, so it looks as though I need a heater, a thermostat to turn the
heater on when the temperature drops to ~0ºC, and an outdoor socket.

Toolstation do a suitable socket
(Toolstation Electrical IP66 Rated MK IP66 Masterseal Plus Sockets, Seapets sell a heater
(Blagdon Affinity Ice Vent Pond Heater,
but I can't find a thermostat.

Anyone able to suggest a source for the thermostat? Comments on the
socket and heater would also be welcome.
I wouldn't bother with a thermostat, if it's a small pond just get a floating pond heater and turn it on when the weather looks like it's going to freeze, the temperature for goldfish isn't that critical, koi would be a different matter.
You could use a cheap plug timer and have it set to go on and off for a few hours a day.
Goldfish are quite hardy, if it freezes up just poor a kettle of boiling water on the ice to create a hole to prevent any build up of gasses. They'll be OK for a few days even if it does freeze over.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."