Old 17-02-2012, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
j[_2_] j[_2_] is offline

Default Questions a Novice with Limited Experience

On 2/8/2012 10:29 PM, Dick Adams wrote:
I live in Ellicott City, Maryalnd and is in Hardiness
Zone 6b. In the Algonquian language of the indigenous
Native American Indian tribes, Ellicott City means
"Hard clay soil filled with rocks".

In past years, my gardening has been limited to
Habenero Peppers planted as seedlings purchased from
a nursery.

My 2012 vegetable selection is Habenero Peppers (12),
Bell Peppers (3), Heirloom Tomatoes (3), Cabbage (2),
Lettuce (2), Eggplant (2), and Zucchini (2).

The Peppers will be planted in containers that will
winter indoors where they will get 8 hours of sunlight
daily from a lighting fixture I used to use for
hydroponics. My objective is a second harvest.

My concern is about the stability of containers given
my 2011 Habeneros were 60" (~1.5 meters) in height.
What is the optimal size container for these plants?

It seems to me they have a roundish root ball. So the depth is not
critical. Mine were in about 3 gallon, but it seems like a 5 gallon
paint bucket would work.

Yahoo has some nice information:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4223939AAmUpts

I'm no expert, but peppers seem to be about the easiest most forgiving
plant there is... 60" plants seems like you are doing very well.

Jeff