Old 19-02-2012, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Wow - fun with new chipper!

On 19 Feb 2012 17:47:28 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I acquired my first wood chipper today. What a fantastic toy! I spent four
hours sredding branches from some overgrown bushes that I heavily pruned
last week. Ended up with a fantastic quantity of good mulch.

After that, I shredded some seaweed I had gathered a few days ago. That
will make it much more suitable for brew-creating purposes.

I'm trying to think of some less-obvious things one might be able to turn
into mulch, with the help of one of these machines. Does anyone have any
ideas? Do you use your garden shredder for any other purposes, apart from
making wood-chip mulch?

TIA,

Al

Later in the year the woody herbaceous perennials go through mine on
their way to the compost bin. Unfortunately the feed hole isn't big
enough to get SWMBO in following an argument.

It's not a good idea to use a shredder for things it's not designed
for and it can be a good idea to keep a little pile of dry wood
somewhere to feed through it if you're shredding a lot of softer green
growth - helps to keep it clean.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

For those that notice such things - I'm changing my
Usenet provider to News.Individual.NET. It's still me!