Old 21-02-2012, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Doug[_5_] Doug[_5_] is offline

Default Pond sludge

On Feb 20, 6:07*pm, Doghouse Riley Doghouse.Riley.
wrote:
'Doug[_5_ Wrote:

Why did I ever decide to have a fish pond? I've had a fishless pond
for years, with frogs, newts and lots of creepies and I rarely gave it
a second thought year after year when it was carpeted with Duckweed.
Now, with the fish there seem to be loads of problems, including foxes
attacking the pond, keeping the water oxygenated and free from weed,
and no longer having welcomed Newts or creepies and no more frogspawn.
It has become an obsession for me, with CCTV and an electric fence
around the pond! Also I have to feed the fish every day which is a
chore. The least of my problems it seems is sludge as I have a pretty
good water filter and lots of pond plants which feed on waste.

The only pleasures is I get is occasionally seeing the fish and the
CCTV has revealed some nightlife, including bats I didn't know I had,
the dog from next door scrambling over the fence, several foxes which
seem to use my garden as a through route and cats of course. Who knows
what the future might also reveal though?

Doug.

Ah! The joys of fishkeeping, for every problem and expense you have with
goldfish, multiply that by ten for koi.

Many years ago a letter from a member, was published in the BKKS
magazine.

This guy said he'd been to the doctor feeling unwell.

After an examination and the *recounting of his symptoms *the doctor
concluded that the man was suffering from stress.

The conversation continued as follows.

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a solicitor."

"What does that involve?"

"I do a lot of litigation, I've a heavy work-load and I'm often in
court."

"Well, that could be the cause."

"I don't think so because I enjoy it."

"What else do you do?"

"I keep Japanese koi."

"Tell me about them."

So the patient related all the problems he'd recently been having with
his fish.

"Well that's it! They are the cause of your stress! Get rid of them!"

"I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"They help me to relax!"

--