Old 24-02-2012, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Allow me to introduce myself . . . .

On 22/02/2012 19:35, RobertM wrote:
Thank you for your help guys, i read that it would be best to dig over
the garden and mix in mulch . . . . is that the correct thing to do ?

Also , would a Japanese Maple grow well in clay ?

Japanese Maples should be okay in improved clay (reasonable drainage
with good compost added), but if you follow the gypsum route then I'd
advise against it.

Japanese Maples also require some shade from the sun and shelter from
wind, as their natural environment is woodland, so you would also need
to provide these. I have a small Acer palmatum in my woodland garden on
clay and it is still struggling despite having a fair amount of shelter.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London