Old 15-03-2012, 01:30 PM
JonnyBeBad JonnyBeBad is offline
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
JonnyBeBad wrote:
Last year I managed to successfully grow some very nice chillies in a
pot on the kitchen window ledge. Having managed to grow something from
seed that I could actually eat gave me the bug, so much so that this
year I've already planted 3 types of chilli, a variety of peppers,
mini cucumbers and both yellow and red cherry tomatoes suitable for
hanging baskets.

Unfortunately, with my garden undergoing major reconstruction, I'm
having to grow in either hanging baskets, tubs or pots.

I am also looking to grow some peas and if possible strawberries and
blueberries but the advice I'm looking for now is:

a) Do tomatoes in hanging baskets require protection from birds, etc.?
b) What is the best way to protect fruit in pots from birds and
insects?

The style that you grow them in makes no difference, if you have frugivorous
birds in the area they will eat your tomatoes and berries. The simplest
protection is bird net. It is a synthetic mesh about 1 1/2 to 2 cm across,
usually white, available in a variety of widths. You should be able to buy
it at any decent nursery. Try to stand it off the plants somewhat with
string or sticks or the enterprising birds will snack through the mesh.

Insects are another matter, it depends on what they are. The above mesh can
be of *some* use as it keeps out moths and butterflies but it doesn't keep
out smaller types.

David
Thanks David, That's great advice. I'm guessing I shouldn't have any trouble with birds attacking my chillies!

Here's to a fruitful Summer!