Old 16-03-2012, 04:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
a425couple a425couple is offline

Default Filling in a pond

"ibizadreamer" wrote...
Unfortunately my elderly mother needs to have her garden pond filled in
since she is no longer able to maintain it.
Could anyone let me know what would be the best type of material to fill
in a pond approx 10 ft long x 5 ft wide x 4 ft deep. We would probably
lay turf over the area to make maintenance of the garden easier. We
have already found a good home for the fish.

Are you really wishing to totally eradicate?
Empty.
Remove liner (at minimum many punctures).
Can you back a dump truck into location?
Somewhere around 7 1/2 cubic yards of fill
(probably first =cheapest fill, then topsoil).

I got a couple daft thoughts (and I sure do not need
to hear the answers, but maybe worth asking yourself).
Probable life expectancy? (or independant living expectancy?)
What is plan for house after she can no longer can use it?
What does such a pond do for residential resale value?
(ask local real estate agents).