Old 16-03-2012, 11:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JB[_6_] JB[_6_] is offline

Default Pond Maintenance Day

Looks like spring is coming about a month early here in the south. Took
off work today and cleaned out my bio falls filter, added two new sheets
of Blue Matala to the two Green I already had and disposed of one of the
bags of lava rock I'd been using. I figured I'd gradually retire the
lava rock as I age and my back gives out. (I also keep bees and that
hobby is notorious for throwing out a back as well.

I had not realized that it had been spring 2010 when I'd last cleaned
the filter/falls. (Bad Ponder!) You can imagine the muck and mulm. Got
everything put back together and the pond is gradually clearing. I
imagine it'll be really clear by morning.

Noticed a couple of lily pads on the surface. (Folks, it's still winter!)

Went out after-wards to admire my work and saw a yellow bellied water
snake about 3 feet long slither across the yard and into the pond. I'd
killed one a couple of years ago and hadn't seen one since. Dang hard
time getting rid of them once they take up residence. sigh