Old 18-03-2012, 04:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pond Maintenance Day

Most of the country is experiencing some abnormally high temps, except here
in the PNW of course!

Yesterday was Early Release so I took the afternoon off and cleaned around
the lily pond (wish my neighbor would take down his looong needle pine) as
that was most of the mess and they have to be picked up by hand as they
clog the shop vac.

Then I took the cover off and started up the filter, added water, as we
didn't get much over winter and by the time the filter filled I was down
almost a foot. A couple of the female wakins look a bit rough, so I added
some salt with the hope I won't have to salt dip them. They look better
this morning and the pond is nice and clear.

I do have a few young'uns with comet tails that will have to be captured
and given away. Hoping to do that soon. Koi ponds are still covered and on
slow flow. Their water temp is only 44F whereas the lily pond is already up
passed 50F! ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us