Old 21-03-2012, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Tips of camellia sinensis leaves are turning brown

On Mar 21, 5:29 pm, BlackThumb wrote:
Thank you for your replies.

I'm certain it's a sinensis. I wanted to see if I could grow tea leaves.

I have read that you can keep it indoors and put it outside in shade in
the summer. I just took it to a garden centre and they said the leaves
were caused by either too much sun or too much cold. I have been keeping
it by the window, but I wouldn't say it has been very sunny. It has been
cold at night though.

What is your opinion on this? And if it's more suitable for outdoors, is
that to do with the temperature or sun?

--
BlackThumb

I must admit I didn't register Sinensis when I read the OP
When we were in Shanghai 3 or so years ago they were used as mass
plantings in the parke etc.
Shanghai has quite cold winters, with Dec, Jan and Feb normally down
to an av of 2 to 3 c with quite a few nights below 0c, they get snow
http://english.eastday.com/e/110120/u1a5681577.html, hail as well as
rain.

Climate statistics of 2006:
*Average annual temperatu 18.4 °C (65.1 °F)
*Highest recorded air temperatu 38.6 °C (101.5 °F)
*Lowest recorded air temperatu -3.5 °C (25.7 °F)
*Precipitation: 1,042.6 mm (41.0 in)
*Annual rainy days: 129

So match that to your weather and decide.
I know its not much diferent to our weather here in Coastal South
Wales in a normal winter.
Your plant was probably grown in a cold poly tunnel with open sides.
David Hill @ the wet end of Swansea Bay