Old 22-03-2012, 05:51 PM
MikeWeston MikeWeston is offline
Registered User

Angry Muddy pond after using bentonite.

Hey there, about 2 years ago I had a landscape company come in and make a pond for me, they used a fairly good liner, everything with the pond was fine up until a year ago, and I've since lost their number. My pond was leaking quite a substantial amount of water, and we couldn't find the leak anywhere.

I decided to go online and look at bentonite as a possible remedy for patching the leak. I was assure that it would, which is not my main issue now.

I think some of the problem might have been with how I applied it, and I'd just like to know what on earth I can do to clear up my pond. I purchased the "powder" bentonite,drained the pond, and sprinkled bentonite in between all the rocks, and pretty much every visible surface of my pond. I think I may have messed up the application by lightly wetting the bentonite, and letting it "set" for an hour or so, then I filled the pond. Now it's all murky.

The bentonite has turned into a wet sludge type clay. We've tried draining the pond to let it dry, to no avail.

Any suggestions on how to make the wet bentonite set/ How to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. We've wondered about putting sand on top of it, would that help?