Old 21-04-2003, 01:33 PM
Malcolm

Default Humane rat control

In article . network,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:40:36 +0100, Malcolm wrote:

Section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act ...

snip
It includes Grey Squirrel and Black Rat but not Rabbit or Brown Rat.

I don't know of any law which prohibits the capture and release of
Rabbits or Brown Rats.

One that covers vermin perhaps?

No, I don't think so. The Pests Act 1954 puts an obligation on to
occupiers of land to kill rabbits on their land or to prevent them doing
damage, but I don't think it says anything specifically about catching
them and releasing them somewhere else.

As you say that act is to preserve the indigenous habitat/species from
imports. Though the rabbit is techincally an import albeit it it has
been here a long time, the Romans introduced it I think.

No, it was the Normans.

--
Malcolm