Old 21-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Bio filtering without bio falls ?

Sorry, I was gone for the weekend!

Leave the existing filter in place: it's where your bio-bugs are living. Put
the "pillow" or mesh bag on top of the foam filter. You'll be able to pull
out the pillow daily (or twice daily, if needed) to wash it off without
disturbing your bio-bugs too much.

Koi Clay is calcium bentonite; it's the same stuff the Japanese use in their
finishing ponds prior to their big shows. It has lots of trace minerals and
helps their skin and coloring (whites/whiter, reds/redder, etc.) The normal
useage is 1 Tbs. per 1,000 dissolved in a bucket of water and distributed
around the edge of your pond. It will gather all the floaty-stuff and take
it to the bottom of your pond, just like the chemical stuff does. You CAN
NOT overdose: the worst that can happen is that your pond will appear milky
for a few hours. I usually do my pond in the evening, and it's crystal clear
by morning. I have a light in my pond: clay makes the water sparkle and the
bubbles from the air stone look like crystal at night. A side benefit is
that it will also bind nitrItes, so it's a very good thing to have available
with a new filter. All in all, it's a very benign additive with remarkable
benefits. And no, I don't sell the stuff . . . s

Lee

"Folklore" wrote in message
Thanks Lee. So the bridal veil filters better than the foam?

How do you use the Koi Clay?

Thanks,

Aslan...

On 15 Apr 2003 10:45:15 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" Said:

May I assume that you're looking for the cheapest/easiest way to fix

this? I
had a lot of problems with the floaty particulate matter in my pond: to
clear it up, I made a bag of window screen, which I stuffed with more

window
screen and several yards of cheap mesh (like bridal veil, but cheaper!)

(I
learned that trick here on this board . . . thank you very much!!!). I
placed this on top of the framed net in the skimmer box. When the algae

is
heavier, I have to wash it off twice a day; later on, maybe only once

every
other day. But I live in FL, and have a LOT of algae. The window
screen/veiling is easy to clean, just blast it with the hose and put it

back
in place. It took a week or so, but then the water got very, very clear.

have several "layers" of filtration, so I was able to dispense with the

foam
in the skimmer box in lieu of the pillow of material for the "fines". In
your case, the foam is the major source of your biofiltration, so I would
NOT suggest you remove it, just put the pillow on top of it.

Bacteria will not work on algae: the bacteria work on the ammonia

conversion
process, so a bag of lava rock would only clog up with the algae, and is

real pain to clean (heavy, too). Another way to get rid of the algae is

use a UV. If you don't want to use the Poly-Clear, acquire some Koi Clay
(calcium bentonite). It's a natural product, will provide a lot of trace
minerals for the fish, and acts like a floculant.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Lee