Old 21-04-2003, 05:44 PM
plantkiller

Default Dracaena. (Corn Plant) leafing

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:26:31 GMT, "Cereoid-XXXX"
wrote:

I wasn't referring to you, killer, but rather that wiseacre who revels in
his stupidity. He may be proud to be a jack-off but that is his problem.
Don't make it yours.

Uhhh..... and plantkiller are both the same person...
me. Just using different computers on my home network. (wi fi
makes it easy to use multiple systems.

Which explains why even medically licensed clinical psychologists
do not attempt to read a posters personality traits from postings in
a internet newsgroup forum. You obviously are very advanced in
analyzing human behaviourial characteristics and personality types.

You didn't know the correct name of the plant until now and there was
nothing in the info available to you to suggest anything better.

Do a quick google search...and visit the websites. Seems to me a lot
of the Agricultural Cooperative Extension departments at some major
universities also call the dracaena fragrans 'corn plants". If it's
good enough for the scientific and academic community, it's good
enough for me.

And you are the Department Chair at which University????
Agricultural Extension Agent ??? By claiming that other academics
are incorrect, I usually like to verify the credentials of the person
speaking with to make sure they are 'considered knowledgeable"

I am not
blaming you but rather the plant industry that assumes most growers are
stupid and the horticultural hustlers that are only interested in making a
fast buck. To most in the trade, any name is as good as any other. That's
why the make up silly names for the plants. Its not because of their
supposed knowledge, its because of their ignorance. Their speaking in jargon
doesn't always mean they know what the freak they are talking about.

Hmmm...I can think of about 15 different reasons for naming a
plant..... marketing, consumerism, tradenames, patents,
product differentiation.... common name...... none of which seem to
be particularly due to stupidity.

As mentioned... a very respected horticulturist referred to the
dracaena fragrans as a 'corn plant' over 25 years ago. And it's
very widely accepted common name for dracaena fragrans in
todays' literature.

This suggests that your 'theory' about recently 'dumbing down' is
based more on mis-information or wishful thinking rather than
knowledge. Unless you consider 25 years to be 'recent'.

Your plant will branch when it is ready to. You can decapitate the plant to
make it branch but you will have to deal with a naked stem in the mean time.

After 10 years of growing corn plants, none has branched out on it's
own. They have grown tall, bushy, flowered and produced seeds
but none have developed multiplre branches from a single stem on it's
own.

Makes me think that they need to be encouraged to do so... And I'd
like to know how. Probably a pretty simple procedure....

BTW, bulbs don't grow on trees.

Yes, bad choice of descriptive phrases.. should have used....

"sharpest tool in the shed"

Hope I don't have to explain the meaning in context used.... that
would really prove a point.

It's been nice but this is a garden forum...and I really don't have
the time nor inclination to be pulled into a 'semantics' or
linguistics "Tomato" Tomahto" "Potato" "Potatoe" time sink.

I mentioned corn plant....everyone knew (even you) what I was
referring to. That's good e'nuff for me.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would consider your responses as
about a 2. They didn't provide any new information, no
breakthroughs.... and contained quite a lot of 'wishful thinking',
pseudo-intellectualism mis-infomation'. Not a good gardening
resource.

plantkiller. wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:49:53 GMT, "Cereoid-XXXX"
wrote:

Calling Dracaena fragrans a "Corn Plant" is only a recent dumbing down of

common name coined for the plant to accommodate the uneducated average
grower and sell plants. Unfortunately, the inappropriate name neither
enlightenes the grower nor does it give an accurate impression of how to
care for it properly. Most of the problems people have with it come from

it
not at all growing like corn and people's unrealistic expectations based

on
what they assume a "corn plant" should need. Just because others are

stupid
fools that doesn't mean you should be that way also. Got it? Get it?

Good.

I tried being smart once....didn't work all that well, ....I don't
mind being called stupid... it's fun watching people try to prove
how intelligent they are !!!

If I'm dealing with uneducated grower and seller of plants.....I'm
working at their level.... think of it this way..... I want the
plant to grow, they know how to make the plants grow..... If they
can do all this without an advanced degree, that's good enough for
me.

btw, some of the brightest bulbs on the tree are actually dumb as
jack..... some of the less gifted bulbs on the tree have been some
of the ones I've learned the most from....

So in the future if I say Corn Plant, just say to yourself, the
stupid jerk means Dracaena fragrans. You'll be a hero by
answering the question, I won't have to deal with lengthy
explanations that people don't really care about...and the plant will
be happy also. A win-win if ever one there was.

Interesting point, I've heard this plant called a 'corn plant"
probably about 25 years ago by a horticulturist. Person struck me
as being pretty knowledgeable. (an understatement).

So are the multiple stems grafted or not....and how do they do it ???

Thanks in advance.