Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ima Goodguy Ima Goodguy is offline

Default Gas found mixed with oil in my Troy-bilt lawn tractor

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 08:17:25 -0700, wrote:

On Apr 11, 10:09*am, Ima Goodguy wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:43:07 -0700, Pat wrote:
I don't know about this particular motor, but if the float in the
carburetor hangs up, the gas runs into the piston and down the gap
in the rings to the oil pan.

*Wow... Thanks Ralph. I hadn't thought about that. I did ponder "
carburetor *" for a moment, but not the float valve. In my paranoia
I immediately suspected foul play. I changed out the oil and did my
mow job, parked the mower. Then ran a length of black thread across
the garage opening ( no doors ) and check it periodically to see if
anyone had 'tripped' it. My next move was to be a trip to Harbor
Freight and buy a motion detect alert gizmo ($16.95). Then I'd fill
my S&W 357 with 38 Sp shot shells and wait for my queue...

*Would it help to burn some kind of *carburetor cleaner stuff ?

*It's a 2006 Super Bronco w/B&S 19 hp if'n that makes any dif.

*Thanks again ... ( them shot shells are $15 a box of ten ... too *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *much to waste ..)

*Ima *... ( actually Paul .. ).

Adding a fuel shutoff would help. *You could run it out of gas before
putting it away.

* * Great idea. I'll look into it..

* * Ima- Hide quoted text -

As Ralph suggested, sounds like it could be the carb float sticking. You
can pull the carb, take off the bowl and clean it. They have carb rebuild
kits available online, Ebay etc that cost typically $10. They include new
needle valves, gaskets, etc. The gasket between the carb and intake is
usually not included, so get one of those too. Carb cleaner and
compressed air if you have it to clean it.

I've never taken a carb off nor rebuild one. Is it something an average
person can handle ? I suppose I could google up a diagram or two.

Ima