Old 16-04-2012, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default swiss chard

In article
,
Billy wrote:

You should try cilantro pesto, when the cilantro is in flower. Yummy!

No, I shouldn't. Find a damp basement with a washing machine in it, dig
around behind the washing machine until you find a lost, moldering sock,
make pesto with it, and you'll have an idea of what I would taste...

This is not a matter of "how it's prepared", this is a matter of
"cilantro tastes (to me, and a bunch of other people with the same
genetic 'switch' thrown) the way moldy socks smell" - so pesto would be
a waste of perfectly good nuts, oil, garlic cheese and lemon (or
whatever you put in _your_ pesto other than leaves). I have basil and
sorrel and nasturtiums that will make a pesto that does _not_ taste like
moldy socks smell.

Other sources liken the taste to the smell of bedbugs, which I've so far
avoided having the delightful-I'm-sure experience of smelling in person.