Old 20-04-2012, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marcella Peek Marcella Peek is offline

Default Plant 'fruit' tree wife's birthday (where to get Strawberry Tree?)

In article ,
Derald wrote:

Jim Daschowsky wrote:

The tree she seems to like is "strawberry tree". Looking it up, it's an
"arbutus unedo", also knowns as a Ericacaea.

My problem is that I don't know if it will grow in northern california (San
Francisco area) and more importantly HOW to mail order a shrub. Can mail
order of shrubs be done?

This plant can become a nuisance in short order. Your neighbors may soon
come to dislike you as well as the tree. Check with your state to be
sure that it's not classified as an invasive exotic which cannot be
transported on the roadways or brought into the state. The last link
below is an online source for live plants.

http://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/we...8d04-0605030c0
f01/media/Html/Arbutus_unedo.htm

http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documen...ts/arbunea.pdf

http://www.floridata.com/ref/a/arbu_une.cfm

http://www.onlineplantguide.com/Plan...x?Plant_id=173

http://www.tytyga.com/European-Straw...berry-tree.htm

It looks like the strawberry tree is native to the Mediterranean which
would make it a good match for the SF area climate.

An article in SF Gate says that it grows well in Sunset climate zones
8,9 and 14 - 24.

Seems like it would be worth calling a few local nurseries and seeing if
they have them in stock. Might be easier than mail order.

marcella