Old 21-04-2012, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens.edible
Usenet Usenet is offline

Default Plant 'fruit' tree wife's birthday (where to get Strawberry Tree?)

"Drew Lawson" wrote in message
In article
Jim Daschowsky writes:
My wife's birthday is coming up and I want to try something that lasts
longer than, say, flowers. I'm wondering if I can find and plant a tree
in
northern california that she saw on our honeymoon in panarea (italy).

The tree she seems to like is "strawberry tree". Looking it up, it's an
"arbutus unedo", also knowns as a Ericacaea.

My problem is that I don't know if it will grow in northern california
(San
Francisco area) and more importantly HOW to mail order a shrub. Can mail
order of shrubs be done?

Do you do that or know what a good nursery is for this type of edible
bush?

Wikipedia describes it as a Mediterranean native, so I would think
most of the San Francisco area would be fine. But I have no
experience growing it.

Looking online, I see several places selling seeds. Someone should
sell plants. A nursery/garden center might be able to order one
for you. They will have access to sellers that don't do retail.

Northern California is great for growing cannabis, order your seeds online.