Old 24-04-2012, 08:48 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and new to gardening.
We've inherited a rhodie with the house we got and it's not looking happy.
Originally it was plonked in a border. I say plonket coz when it came to replanting it I lifted it with earth ball shaped like a pot it must have been in originally. I replanted it into a pot filled with ericaceous compost.

Recently, I've noticed that leaves started going yellow at the edges and some show signs of being eaten and/or going brown.
The buds don't seem to be doing anything either.
Btw, when I replanted it I took a cutting and have it indoors. The cutting's leaves look healthy and the flower bud is opening.
I enclose a pic of the cutting for comparison.

Please help.
Hi Andrzej, Hi there, I think that this rhododendron (which looks like some type of yakushimanum hybrid) has been in a pot for a very long time prior to being 'plonked' in the garden. Its probably been allowed to dry out and rarely been fed, thats why it looks like it does. So now its being looked after, it should start to flourish. Feed it and make sure it never dries out and if it were mine, I'd carefully remove any flower buds (and your cutting as well !!) to allow any energy to revert back into the growth and I think, given a couple of years and it will look fine.
regards Lannerman.