Old 21-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Tom Gauldin

Default Where to find tomato cages ?

In Fort Wayne, I built a "fence" over my row of tomatoes, using 6X6 wwm
(concrete reinforcing wire). I used those semi round landscape timbers, and
scabbed 2 X 4's on the sides, making the posts about 9-10" wide. The
"fence" was on both sides of the post, so that the tomatoes grew up between
the wire. It was an easy matter to occasionally pull the new tops upward,
and there was enough support for the tomatoes both inside and outside the
walls of the fence.

BTW, this also worked with cucumbers and even cantaloupe. The cantaloupes
were stuck into the toes of old panty hose, tied to the wire.

--

Tom Gauldin, Las Vegas NV
NEW EMAIL

wrote in message
In article , Don S.

wrote:
Hi. Is there a good source in the Raleigh area for fencing, to make

tomato
cages ? The openings in the rolls of fencing wire at Home Depot and

Lowes
are too small. Lowes did have one with larger openings, but it was a

$75 roll
with about 350 feet of fencing on it - too much for me. The stuff I'm
interested in is 4 to 5 feet tall, with openings about 4" square. The
concrete reinforcement wire has a larger wire gauge than I'd prefer.

Thanx.....don

In my opinion the concrete reinforcing wire is the only way to go, but I
have use 2inch by 4inch welded wire and cut larger holes. It is ridgid
enough to standup under heavy vines. The concrete wire does take more
energy to cut. I acquired a bolt cutter for other reasons and I now use
it to cut the wire but bending is still a chore.

My kids gave me a 50 foot roll which should be good for 6 or 7 to
replace those which have rusted out. I expect to get at least 5 years
from them.

I have thought about making some forsale but never got around to finding
time or a price.

--
Wes Dukes (wdukesNOatSPAMpoboxdotcom)