Old 15-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Texas Newbie Texas Newbie is offline
Registered User

Default Advice New to Ponds

Hello all, I am sure you all have answered this question until you are sick of it but I need as many opinions as I can get in the next 24 hours. I have just had a pond installed. Five foot water fall falls in to 8x10 small pond which feeds in to 30 foot streams and goes in to larger 12x20 pond. It has been running for about 3 to 4 weeks. My husband and I and the pond builder felt early on there were leaks. Liner is overlapping in several places (bottom of falls, mid stream, where stream joins big pond etc) Each test has shown there to be leaks at each over lapping spot. Now my builder says they have “fixed” each leak (waterfall foam) at each joined spot. Pond still looses 3 inches every 24 hours if the auto-fill water is turned off. If the auto-fill in not turned off it runs, I would estimate, 45 min of every hour, near constant but it does shut off for a few minutes at a time. Soooo my question is this. I want to be reasonable and fair to my builder but at the same time don’t want to be played for a fool and lied to. He says due to water fall splashing and evaporation this is a normal amount of water loss, and is just something we need to deal with. If we turn the auto-fill off within 8 hours the pump will be sucking air due to water level droping. We are in NorthTexas but the highs have been any where 60s to mid 80s since the pond has been installed. I would expect in our hot summer time more evaporation but now?? Please give me advice as he wants to meet tomorrow and settle on payment and so forth and be “finished” with this job.