Old 17-05-2012, 04:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill O'Meally Bill O'Meally is offline

Default Advice New to Ponds

On 2012-05-16 11:46:15 -0500, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Tue, 15 May 2012 22:27:44 EDT, Texas Newbie
wrote:

Please give me advice as he
wants to meet tomorrow and settle on payment and so forth and be
“finished” with this job.

I have a pond with a waterfall. It loses some water when the waterfall
is running but not when it's switched off. All the loss is due to the
water splashing out of the waterfall. If it was a leak or anything
else then it would lose water when switched off.
Steve

I had that same problem, the level unchanging for a week at a time with
the waterfall off, going down a couple inches in as many days with it
on. It seemed an inordinate amount to just chalk it up to evaporation.
Also, I hadn't had the problem in prior years. It turned out to be the
buried, flexible hose from the pump to the falls had sprung a leak. It
would seem that there are low points where water could accumulate. Over
the winter, I suspect it froze and burst the hose. There were no wet
spots on the ground to give this away -- it just took some detective
work and some digging to find the problem.
--
Bill
"Wise Fool" -- Gandalf, _The Two Towers_