Old 22-05-2012, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jamie D.[_2_] Jamie D.[_2_] is offline

Default Rhubarb Millionaires?

"mogga" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 May 2012 20:46:28 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Just checked and at Asda rhubarb is £5 a kilo.

Checked the relatively small bag we brought back from the allotment and it
weighs 2.2 kilos - so £11 worth at the till :-)

We dropped of a really big bag (possibly 4 times the size or more) at the
care home where my MIL is staying for the staff to share.
Got a really big smile - which is not surprising as we just dropped off
£40 - £50 worth of rhubarb at the door.

This has got to cover our allotment renatl and allotment society
subscriptions for the year :-)

We inherited the rhubarb with the allotment and this isn't the first crop
we
have had, nor the last.
Given the amount of rhubarb on the other allotments which is just not
being
gathered I am amazed at the price in the shops.

It is shockingly dear this year.

I have grown some from seed:
http://pinterest.com/pin/49891508342301684/

Hello,

I've recently planted some rhubarb crowns (only one of which is showing any
signs of life) and am aware that I shouldn't take any stalks this year (or
next, at any rate) to allow it to get established.

Out of curiosity, how long do you anticipate rhubarb from seed taking before
reaching a stage where you can harvest from it?

--
Regards,
Jamie D.

All the way from sunny Lincolnshire.