Old 23-05-2012, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Rhubarb Millionaires?

On Wed, 23 May 2012 11:17:45 +0100, Jamie D.
wrote:

I've recently planted some rhubarb crowns (only one of which is

showing any
signs of life) and am aware that I shouldn't take any stalks this

year (or
next, at any rate) to allow it to get established.

Out of curiosity, how long do you anticipate rhubarb from seed

taking before
reaching a stage where you can harvest from it?

Planted seeds a few months ago so probably 2014 and then only very
lightly then.

I think it's well worth letting it establish. Neighbour and I

planted
crowns at same time - he harvested a year before I did. Mine is much
bigger than his this year. Probably 3 times the size.

Thanks, I'll be letting my crowns develop (assuming the dead-looking
ones burst into life) but have half an eye on the future as an
established part of my plot.

When I have been on the plot long enough to be 100% about the layout
of beds, etc, I may try to bring some up from seed.

Thank you for the helpful reply.

I had two crowns a couple of years ago - from B&Q if I remember - one
disappeared and the other is now on my allotment.

It's tempting to let one flower and try saving the seeds from that -
but everywhere says it saps the plant energy a lot to develop the
seed. I do always wonder whether that's just a myth put about by
people who want to sell you crowns though.

I'm tempted to fill my allotment with rhubarb but I won't! I'll be
giving away some plants and then creating a communal bed I hope!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk