Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
Bloke Down The Pub Bloke Down The Pub is offline

Default Composting

"Loosecanon" wrote in message
. au...

Hahahahaha The idea of composting you cross posting troll is to not buy
ingredients but use what you can scrounge. OTOH, there is a sucker born
every minute.

Oh you should know that bokashi composting involves no heat, does not need
to be turned and is not concerned with carbon/nitrogen ratios. It is
actually fermenting foodscraps which can include paper, fruit, vegetables
and meat scraps. You do need to buy some things to grow the microbes that
will ferment things.

Now I have done hot composts and cold composts. Hot composts require
turning the pile which myself I prefer not to do and getting the C/N ratio
right is a science. I would need to buy straw or pea hay to use as my
carbon and it is not cheap these days here. The cold compost takes a long
time to fill the bin and you end up with manky stuff as it rots down and
undesirables like cockroaches like to set up shop. I haven't tried worm
farms.

The bokashi method you ferment and bury your scraps and 6 weeks later you
have a rich organic black soil full of worms and not red wrigglers either.
You can also add it to a worm farm. I can't confirm it works myself I am
in the process of making what I need to find out.

My newspaper (microbe infused) will be ready for drying in just over a
week and the sawdust equivalent will be ready a week after. Then the fun
begins.

How has the composting turned out? Is it an on going thing over winter? I
ask because I now find I have time to try a thing or two in the garden and
soil improvement in the West is a must..

Mike