Old 22-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Bob A

Default Intro post of appreciation

"JEB" wrote in message
Greetings aqua gardeners,

Before posting a lot of questions, I thought I'd make a little
semi-formal hello and introduce myself. I used to keep aquaria in
another life (many years back) and I think I must have enjoyed it, as
hardly any piece of furniture in the house with a flat surface lacked an
aquarium. All freshwater, from 10 to 100 gal. One 29 gal. was my
attempt at a planted tank. There was no internet then, and I wasn't
aware of any clubs I could join, but I did manage success raising
several varieties of algae. Other than that, only the Java moss really
grew. I actually got some store stock periodically for that in trades
with the LFS. Well, that was another life in another state.

Lately I'd been thinking it would be nice to have a water box around
again, and one of my work buddies said he had a 30 long I could have. I
could feel the old excitement, so I've been cruising usenet and www
doing homework to learn how to do a planted tank. Reading this NG and
some rather prominent web sites over the last couple of months has me
thinking I might be getting close to giving it a go.

So thanks to all of you, you didn't even know you were being so helpful,
except for maybe Tom Barr, who answered my only posted question, about
isoetes. Also, a thanks to Leigh for her tank blog. I was just about
to give up on finding a decent LFS when I checked her site, and there's
a list of 'em, all within driving distance.

So now that I've been nice as I know how to be, I hope all of you feel
really obliged to answer all my questions, because, as they say, I got a
sack full of them ;^).

James

Good luck James, I too had tanks in the past, but unplanted (and refused to
use plastic). The plants can be a real challenge, but I think they are
worth it. I'm about the farthest from an expert, but I think I can give the
advice not to be too discouraged or give up easily if things don't go
perfectly from the start.

You're right, there are some very helpful and generous folks here.

bob