Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 AM
allen73 allen73 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshirelass View Post
My container grown Gertrude Jeykell rose has just come through it's 2nd winter and looks very spindly. I have pruned it down to the nearest bud but there are no buds lower down that I can see. Is it safe to just cut it down to about 12" or should I just give it a feed and hope for the best? Any help gratefully received
http://i40.tinypic.com/124ejkm.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/az6sf7.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/18lmci.jpg
It is necessary to prune your deciduous flower gardening for two reasons: 1. By removing old, damaged or dead wood, you increase air flow, yielding in less disease. 2. You rejuvenate new growth which increases flower production.

Pruning deciduous shrubs can be divided into 4 groups: Those that require minimal pruning (take out only dead, diseased, damaged, or crossed branches, can be done in early spring.); spring pruning (encourages vigorous, new growth which produces summer flowers - in other words, flowers appear on new wood); summer pruning after flower (after flowering, cut back shoots, and take out some of the old growth, down to the ground); suckering habit pruning (flowers appear on wood from previous year. Cut back flowered stems by 1/2, to strong growing new shoots and remove 1/2 of the flowered stems a couple of inches from the ground) Always remove dead, damaged or diseased wood first, no matter what type of pruning you are doing.
Fruit Trees