Old 26-06-2012, 04:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Lawn advice needed

Mottsey wrote:
Good afternoon all.

I'm very much a beginner at the whole gardening scene as I have always
lived in an urban area with very little opportunity to get my fingers
green.

However, we have moved into a semi detached house which has an 85ft x
35ft rear garden. There is decking covering 7ft x 35ft at the rear of
the house with a small rectangular pond. The rest has been turfed.

What I need it some advice on how to bring this lawn to life. The
garden does feel lumpy and bumpy under foot. We have a 3 year old
daughter who I want to spend the majority of her time enjoying and
taking advantage of such a big open space and make it as nice and
child friendly as possible for her.

The grass isn't very green and hasn't been maintained at all. What
can i do to improve the lawn? as you can see if the images below, the
grass seems very dull. What products should i use and when should i
use them?

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../4fa031e0.jpg]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../6e075a64.jpg]

[image: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8.../b102abf8.jpg]

Fertilize it, water it, and set the mower to the highest/longest cutting setting
it has. Mow often enough that you are not taking off more than 1/3 of the grass
leaf at a mowing.

It has been mowed way too short. You need to allow the grass to show some green
blade. The more the better.