Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM
ajax ajax is offline
Registered User

Default How to deal with persistent weeds in three-month-old turf (SE England)

Please bear with me as I am quite eager and handy but a little less than experienced when it comes to the finer technical details!

I laid nice Rolawn Minster turf about three months ago. I live in Greater London. The lawn has been progressing nicely, although lately I have noticed that a persistent weed has started to spread throughout the grass and I don't know how to eradicate it.

I have tried to attach a picture to this post - this weed is slightly lighter in colour than the actual grass and the blades are thicker and coarser. It grows quickly and has seemed to spread throughout the lawn quite quickly.

I have found lawn-care products that will kill weeds and leave the rest of the grass alone, although most of these say to wait at least 18 months after the turf has been laid - I am afraid I won't have much grass left by then!

How can I get rid of these weeds, other than by ripping them up by hand and laying seed into the holes? (This is in itself unsightly, but it's the best solution I can think of.)

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to deal with persistent weeds in three-month-old turf (SE England)-img_5124.jpg