Old 13-07-2012, 12:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default How to deal with persistent weeds in three-month-old turf (SE England)

ajax said:

I laid nice Rolawn Minster turf about three months ago. I live in
Greater London. The lawn has been progressing nicely, although lately I
have noticed that a persistent weed has started to spread throughout the
grass and I don't know how to eradicate it.

I have tried to attach a picture to this post - this weed is slightly
lighter in colour than the actual grass and the blades are thicker and
coarser. It grows quickly and has seemed to spread throughout the lawn
quite quickly.

I have found lawn-care products that will kill weeds and leave the rest
of the grass alone, although most of these say to wait at least 18
months after the turf has been laid - I am afraid I won't have much
grass left by then!

Since your weed is a type of grass (a coarse, ugly grass), these lawn
weed killers probably wouldn't do you much good even if you could use
them right now.

How can I get rid of these weeds, other than by ripping them up by hand
and laying seed into the holes? (This is in itself unsightly, but it's
the best solution I can think of.)

You could pull these by hand, or you could *carefully* paint them with
glyphosate. Don't get it on the lawn grass or any other plants you want
to keep. Glyphosate is a broad-spectrum herbicide.

Either way, it will be a lot of work.

|Filename: IMG_5124.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php
attachmentid=15149|