Old 18-07-2012, 06:29 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Guv Bob[_2_] Guv Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Manzanita identification

Anyone recognize what species of manzanita this could be? The bush is about 3 years old, 5-ft in height.

http://imageshack.us/f/51/gedc0733.jpg

Before I hit every one of the 76 species on this page, I thought I would see if anyone might recognize what species of manzanita this is.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/Classifi...3 &display=63
Location is western Calif. Thanks in advance.

Hard to tell from the photo -- the leaves are in bunches of 4 with a thorn in the middle. Each group of 4 alternates on opposite sides of the branch. Branches are reddish brown and green mixed together (photo is pretty true).

Oh, and the thorns are sharp (YEOOOOOWW!!!)

Bob