Old 22-04-2003, 10:32 PM
BillC

Default Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :(

Hi all, this is my first year planting bulbs. I'm West Michigan.

I ordered and received 20 reblooming irises from Michigan Bulb. Now, I
know they are known for shipping poor product, but when the iris bulbs
came, they looked very healthy. No mold, no discoloration or rot, they
were large, firm (not soggy), and had good color.

I read practically everything there is to know about planting irises
and I'm sure I planted them right. I used outdoor flower and bulb
planting soil, and made sure the rhizomes were firmly placed (but not
too tight) with just the top of the rhizomes sticking out of the
ground. I planted in mid October 2002.

It is now 04/22/03. Most all of the area Daffodils have bloomed,
including mine. I also planted 18 Giant Alliums from Michigan bulb,
and I'm glad to say all but one has started growing, they already have
bases with thick foliage.

But, of the 20 irises I planted, only one has green leaves starting to
grow out of the top. The other 19 still look completely dead... just
the brown dried out leaves on top from when I planted them.

Do these irises start growing later on, or should I chalk these ones
up as being duds?

Anyone know a good place to get reblooming irises online that will
actually grow?