Old 15-08-2012, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JB[_6_] JB[_6_] is offline

Default Tadpoles & algae

On 8/12/2012 10:18 PM, Red wrote:
I have a 400 gal 'pond' for a waterhole for the critters on my
property. I can't keep the damn frogs from fornicating in it and
pond scum (suspended algae). Anyone have an idea on how to control
the frogs and still have the water safe to drink for the animals,
dogs,& bees?

Pond is lined, with sand covering the liner to protect it from deer
hooves. No electricity nearby for an aerator. Bleaching, draining,&
refilling only gives a temporary fix. I'm suspecting frog slime
holding the eggs until they hatch is the likely cause.

Well, a "waterhole" will eventually stagnant it left alone. There are
some solar powered pumps out there you could try and rig up some simple
form of filtration. Seems to me that if the waterhole is close enough to
a water hose then it's within reach of an extension cord. I'm just
saying........

JB