Old 23-04-2003, 06:56 AM
sunslight

Default Best Sprayer for Lawn Renovation?

Thanks everyone.

I guess it's looks like the majority vote is for RoundUp in a pump tank
sprayer.

I was sort of hoping for everyone to say, use the dial-n-sprayer. That
would cover the 6,000 sq. ft quickly. I wonder how many days it is going to
take me to make even one pass? Here in the Rocky Mountains, the only real
time I can spray will be very early morning or late in the evening when
there is no canyon breeze. that window will last for only about an hour.

I just found out that drift can really be a problem, even with something
like weed-b-gone. I used pre-mixed gallon, sprayed when the temp. was
around 68, didn't get closer to my rose bush than three feet, but there was
just a very slight breeze and today, my rose bush is looking rather poorly.

Does anyone know where I can get "tracker dye?" I had planned on using food
coloring, but this sounds better.

Thanks all for the advice.

I'm going to make another thread on questions on how to plant a new lawn
with grass seed, so if anyone want to chime in on that one, watch for it and
your good advice will be appreciated.

Bob

I"sunslight" wrote in message

I will be using RoundUp (or a similar product) to kill out the old lawn,
then re-seed over the top. The job is about 6,000 sq. ft. Will do it in
four sections.

I have shrubs, flowers, garden and trees that will need protecting.

1) Ortho makes a RoundUp, 2gal tank sprayer, that comes with three
nozzles--1) a nozzle that is supposed to make a FOAMING spray that does
small areas and lets you see where the spray is laid down, 2) a regular

cone
nozzle and 3) a fan nozzle for large areas. (cost $21)

2) They and others, make a cheapy, 1 gal. all plastic tank sprayer with

one
nozzle that can be adjusted to regular or to a fan spray.for large areas.

don't know how good the fan spray would be. (cost $10)

3) Ortho make a "dial-n-spray" that attaches to the garden hose and is
convenient to use. I don't know if it would be very controllable in its
spray pattern. But, it will cover large areas quickly. And besides no
pumping, it sucks the concentrate from a container. After each use, the
unused concentrate can be returned to the bottle--saving lots of $$.

(cost
$11)

Using the fan nozzle with any of these, will not allow me to see where

I've
laid down the spray. If I use either the fan nozzle or the

"dial-n-spray,"
I assume I will loose the control that the foam nozzle is supposed to give
(haven't tried it) but gain speed, ease of coverage of and in the case of
the latter, convenience and product saving. I don't want to kill my

shrubs
or flowers, but neither do I want to take all day to spray nor incorrectly
use the product by over-spray or under-spray. If I don't use the "foam"
nozzle, I've thought about adding some food-coloring to the spray mixture

or
concentrate, so I can better tell where I've sprayed. Ortho said that
wouldn't hurt the RoundUp.

Three Questions:

1) Should I use the 2gal. sprayer with the "foaming nozzle" so I can more
safely do the close work around the shrubs and, tress and see where I've
laid down the spray? Then switch to the fan nozzle for open yard work,

but
won't be able to see where I've sprayed? (has higher tank cost)

2) Should I use a cheapy, 1gal sprayer with the nozzle on "fan?" I won't

be
able to see where I've sprayed. (has cost savings over the 2 gal. tank)

3) Should I use the "dial-n-spray?" It gets the job done quickly, is
convenient, can save the unused concentrate, but I loose control over the
spray pattern? (has cost saving over the 2 gal. tank)

All opinions will be greatly appreciated. I would especially like to hear
from anyone who has experience with both the tank and "dial-n-spray" for

the
garden hose.

Thank you,
Bob Tate