Old 29-08-2012, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default blue smoke from garden tractor

On Aug 29, 7:17*am, "Joe" wrote:
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor- model 917.272244 I purchased in 2001. It
has always run well, but in recent years it's been burning oil, more and
more lately. It used to be that only when I started it- I'd see some some
blue smoke for a few seconds, then it would clear. Now it's blue smoke all
the time, or-- at least most of the time. Yet, it still starts and runs. It
doesn't make any odd noises so I don't think it's misfiring. In the past the
oil level didn't go down much but lately it's going down fast- so, despite
being a mechanical idiot (seriously)- I'm presuming it's burning oil due to
the seals on the cylinders? If so, does this mean it's near the end of its
life or is it possible to get an "engine job" at a reasonable price? yes, I
know, I need to talk to local shops that sell and repair GTs. But, before i
do that, as always, I like to get somewhat familiar with *problems online
before talking to a shop person.

Two ways for oil to get burned. Either it's valve seals or
rings. Most likely the seals. That is suggested by the
fact that the smoke initially appeared only at start-up
If it's only 10 years old and otherwise in reasonable shape, having
it fixed is likely worthwhile.