Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Guv Bob[_2_] Guv Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Manzanita identification

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
"Jordan Legare" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:29:58 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/Classifi...3 &display=63

I think you may be looking at:

Arctostaphylos andersonii A. Gray

Santa Cruz manzanita, heartleaf manzanita

http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/spec...los+andersonii

Any other opinions?

Jordan

Thanks Jordan. That's a great webiste. Photos are similar but the leaves on mine are very shiny, a little different shape and the flowers on mine are white.

I found this one - looks just like this one from all the photos I can find. But since those are an endangered species only found near San Francisco, I doubt that this is it -- there is a quite a large patch of them in San Bernardino County right on the edge of a fairly busy road.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/taxp...n-in-san-fran/

Photo:
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/u...-manzanita.png

===

Here is a photo I took a couple of nights ago... The earlier photo was before the berries started appearing, about 6 weeks ago

http://imageshack.us/f/88/manz01.jpg/

Here is a branch of the same plant in July.
http://imageshack.us/f/51/gedc0733.jpg

The photo at theblaze.com shows 2 marks on the berries and mine all have one. Hopefully that's enough to make it a common variety and keep it off of the endangered list!!