Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oasis (the flower arranging medium)

On 2012-09-09 11:36:48 +0100, Another John said:

Simple question: can oasis be reconstituted?

My wife and I are not flower arrangers as such, but we do a bit now and
again, and we have various odd bits of this interesting stuff lying
around. As with every single, solitary thing around our household, we
are reluctant to throw it away.

Ta
John

It can't be re-used if it's been wet and then allowed to dry out. It
simply won't absorb the water. You could always use it for dried
flowers, though. Otherwise, I can't think of anyway it could be
re-used.

There are quite a few websites which come down on opposite sides as to
whether or not Oasis can be reused.

The makers of Oasis carefully avoid directly answering the question as
to whether or not dried Oasis can be reused. This is from the FAQs on
their website: (http://souk.oasisfloral.com/faqs/faqs)

"Can I use OASIS® Floral Foam after it has dried out?
We strongly recommend that you use the floral foam right after you have
soaked it. However, if you find you are unable to use the floral foam
immediately after soaking, leave the floral foam in the soaking
container for up to twenty-four hours, rather than letting it dry out. "

Also see "Using Floral Foam Effectively " point 9) he
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/tips.html

The main problem seems to be that holes caused by previous use can cause
air pockets which can prevent water reaching the cut stems.

Used Oasis can be sliced up and used to cover the holes in flower pots.
Water can drain away through it. Ants won't come into the pots
through it. If you crumble it a little (not crush it to powder!) it can
be used to help aerate compost (in a similar way to perlite). I use it
for orchids to aerate and lighten the compost they are in.

--

Jeff