Old 11-09-2012, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Oasis (the flower arranging medium)

On 2012-09-11 10:39:44 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

Once I've got some spare time(!) I'll run a trial on it. My wife has a
box of the stuff she has never used. I'll weigh some a few minutes
after immersing and draining, let it dry (will a month be long enough?)
and immerse, drain, and weigh again. Should give a definitive answer
as to whether or not it will take up water after being allowed to dry.

Huh? If you have a plenty of time on your hands....! ;-) Many amateur
flower arrangers don't know it won't re-absorb, hence the useless dried
out lumps (often full of holes) that you find in church vestries,
carefully stored in boxes! I don't know why but when dried out it
just floats on top of the water, while 'fresh' Oasis slowly absorbs
water and sinks, so you always put it into water deeper than itself.
This may save you some time:

http://sona.oasisfloral.com/faqs/faqs

That's the link I gave in my first post! :-)
(I trimmed my replyto you and cut the link)

--

Jeff