Old 25-09-2012, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
lil Abner lil Abner is offline

Default Lawns & guinea pigs

On 8/27/2012 11:20 AM, olyman wrote:
Hi, I am a newby here.
Recently moved into a property with a 25 x 35foot lawn. Our guinea pigs
are put on lawn in a run each day.
The lawn has a lot of weeds so needs a weedkiller application, also I
supect it needs a feed.
Question, should I apply weedkiller before the feed or after.

The instructions for weedkiller say 'keep children& pets away from
treated areas untill spray has dried".
Question2, will it be safe to put the guinea pigs on the grass after
spray has dried, they eat only grass, not weed.

On the opposite of the pond. A 25x35 lawn, you could pretty much pull up
or dig up all the weeds.
I've used weed an feed and so on over time and don't loke what it did to
the lawn and wildlife. We used to have a lot of rought ground snakes. A
lot like big earth worms, that lived in the thatch. They got rid of
grubs, worms, fleas, ticks and pretty much everything. These chemiclas
killed them out and lots of lawn but the weeds persisted.
Some weeds have to be dealt with with herbicides though.
Overseeding grass and encouraging tall lush growth crowds out most or
all weeds depending on section of yard. You just have be sure and mow it
when dry and not let clippings mat up.