Old 23-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Paul Irwin

Default Fry in Hospital tank!

I make my own sponge filters.

Materials needed: a 5 in X 5 IN piece of 4 in thick foam of the type used
for upholstery or crafts
A 6 in X 6 in quarry tile or piece of 1/4" glass
an 8 in to 12 in piece of plastic pipe, I often
use 3/4" PVC

I make a hole in the middle of the block of foam. I then glue the foam to
the tile or glass using silicone sealer. I put the pipe in the hole and let
it set for a day or two. Put the filter in a tank, drop an airstone down the
pipe and it's finished. You can vary and of the above dimensions by an inch
or two and it should still work just fine.

This method works for air-driven filters, but does not work well with power
filters because of the small pore size of the foam. I have purchased several
different brands of foam filters and I like my home made ones better, mainly
because they sit on the bottom of the tank and don't float around. If I am
going out of town for a few days and I have small fry I sometimes add a
second or third filter to the tank. There are a lot of little critters that
live in an established sponge filter and they provide some snacks for the
little ones.

"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
4-Everyone has their personal favourites for filtration. With tiny fry

in
breeder set up, my choice is a small seasoned sponge filter, air driven,
with minimal flow rate.

I'm hoping to start breeding soon. Where can I read/see more on the setup
you're suggesting?

Thanks;
Duncan