Old 25-10-2012, 03:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default When do passionfruit flower in Sydney?

On 24/10/12 20:24, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/10/2012 16:43, terryc wrote:
We have had one in the ground(self sown black) for about two years now,
but there is no sign of flower buds.
Will these happen when the real summer sets in?
Should I add a bit of iron to make sure?

Just wondering if your soil is too fertile. Is the vine vigorous,
producing lots of growth, but doesn't flower?

THUMP,,,,,,,,now that I've picked myselfup from the floor from surprise.
It is high;y unlikely. We have major problems with growing much in this
garden, Although the chief gardener did bring in a 4" long thick carrot
the other day. OTOH, that was the total carrott crop. Our pea crop
consided of two pods a day with one of two peas for about a week.

About the only thing that grows prolificly here is rainbow chard, flat
parseley and borage. Basically self sown or "fairy wanded" over a patch.
But, the chief gardner gets enthused every year and plants a whole pile
of stuff to see how it goes.

Here in the UK the only hardy(ish) passion fruit is Passiflora caerulea.
It is said that it should be planted in poor soil, as otherwise it
simply grows like a weed and never flowers/fruits.

That describes it. The guide I read said snip back the tendrils to
encouage branching. Lol, last thing it needs.

Since it self sowed about a year or more ago(spread "com[post") on a
hile of what was piled up clay soil, it will be left and I will see what
happens over Summer.