Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Can cats safely eat tomato plants?

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
took in some late blooming seedlings to protect from the overnight
cold and the cat seemed to really want to eat them. I'm not opposed
to him eating them as they will probably not make it thru to next
season and I can grow plenty more, just concerned for his health

I cannot think of any reason why tomatoes would harm a cat provided it
otherwise had a good diet. Cats cannot be vegans but if their protein
intake is OK some fruit or veg on the side should do no harm. Wait to see
what grows in the litter tray. Well maybe not.

I should have googled, but a cursory search shows that tomatos are okay in their
diet, but the plants are if not exactly poisonous, definitely not good for their
help.