Old 28-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Ross Reid

Default Getting potatoes ready

"Dwayne" wrote:

I have my seed potatoes bought. They wont be going into the ground for
about 7 weeks. What would it hurt to cut them into chunks with an eye in
each, now rather than wait till 3 days before planting? Have any of you
done it this early?

Thanks, Dwayne

Dwayne,
I wouldn't cut them now but, you could always start "chitting" them
six or seven weeks before you can normally plant potatoes. If you were
to cut them now, I think you'll find they will dehydrate into
shriveled, unidentifiable little lumps in 6 weeks.
"Chitting" is simply pre-sprouting potatoes in a good, strong light
(not direct sunlight).
Also, from your post, it sounds like you leave only one eye per piece
when you are cutting potatoes a few days prior to planting. It is
recommended that you leave a minimum of two and a maximum of three
eyes in each piece.

Ross.