Old 24-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Stephen Howard

Default One wasp

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:31:13 +0100, "geoff"
wrote:

Urgers,

"One wasp" at this time of year is usually a queen out of hibernation
looking for somewhere to "set up shop". A very large one might be a hornet
which have a fearful reputation but are not so bad as wasps. Whichever you
see, please do not kill them for they are great scavengers even though they
annoy one at times.

A couple of year ago I was busily working away at my lathe when a
sharp pain shot through my back.
The shock it gave me caused me to jump - and with my hand on one of
the feed wheels I bumped the lathe tool into the piece I was working
on, shattering the work.

It was a bloody wasp, it had crawled down my neck and stung my back -
I just didn't hear or feel the thing coming.

I got stung two more times that day, both in the same fashion.

I'll leave wasps alone in their own environment - much in the same way
that whilst I'll squash slugs on my veggy patch and flower beds I
won't squash them elsewhere - in their place these creatures have a
right to exist and perform a useful function.

I had an interesting encounter with a hornet last year...the results
of which might bring forth a few chuckles.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Notes/Yoiks.htm

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk